Re: [GIT PULL] percpu fixes for 2.6.32-rc6

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Thu Nov 12 2009 - 13:05:28 EST

* Linus Torvalds <torvalds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm really inclined to just remove the stupid thing entirely both from
> coding-style and from checkpatch.
>
> 80 columns do not matter. What matters is:
> - indentation
> - complex expressions and statements
>
> and those two issues _together_ means that 80+ columns should be damn
> rare, but the 80 columns itself is not at all that important.

i'd love to have that coupled with some check for too deep indentation.
About half of the col-80 warnings i see are due to genuinely
over-complex (and to-be-fixed) code.

Too bad that _those_ get ignored (because it's hard to fix) - while
strings get broken up (because it's easy to 'fix') ;-)

So i'd very very much love to see some common-sense check for excessive
indentation, and drop the col-80 warning altogether.

Ingo