Re: [RFC] new -stable tag variant, Git workflow question

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Wed Nov 11 2009 - 16:53:26 EST

On Wed, 11 Nov 2009, H. Peter Anvin wrote:

> > Quite frankly, I'd much rather not run hooks on my tree directly. The less
> > that can possibly get screwed up with my kernel.org tree, the happier I
> > am. So in many ways, I really prefer the whole "done separately by others"
> > approach.
> >
> > But hey, send the hook to me, and I'll think about it.
>
> One thing we might be able to do is to create an "exploder hook" on your
> tree - something that asynchronously broadcasts a notification that
> anyone can subscribe to.

Yeah, some minimal hook just informing any interested party about "ok,
Linus pushed to the main tree" (and in fact, perhaps generalized so that
you can show that you are interested in some particular branch of _any_
tree that people can just add to their trees) certainly doesn't sound like
a bad idea.

That way we can get rid of "polling by cron", without having to have the
tree owners themselves care about who is interested in exactly what..

Linus