Re: [RFC] new -stable tag variant, Git workflow question

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue Nov 10 2009 - 15:46:05 EST

* Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> > More importantly, isn't this against the character of the -stable
> > kernel branches as _safe and simple_ hotfix branches?
> >
> > If a fix has a number of prerequisites which ar not -stable fixes
> > themselves, then it is more than a hint that this fix is not really
> > well suited for -stable.
>
> Not true, we have been doing this kind of thing for quite some time
> now. Sometimes it's just a simple "this patch cleans up the code, and
> the second one fixes it in an obvious manner" type thing. It is
> easier for me and everyone else for us to apply 2 commits to the
> -stable tree, instead of rewriting the second patch that actually does
> the fix and hope I got it all correct in doing so.
>
> It's also easier to review stuff, which is the most important thing.

Yeah. This new tagging scheme doesnt really allow anything 'new' per se
- it just helps the existing practice some more. All these commits were
-stable candidates anyway, in exactly the same order - the only
difference the new tagging scheme adds here is a more organized,
in-upsream-Git way of communicating it to you.

This is also easier and less error prone for me than using email: i can
do all the -stable tagging when i create a commit - or if i see that a
commit has prereqs and those should be in -stable too. In those
situations i check out the last stable kernel version, and cherry-pick
the prereqs and the target commit, to see that it cherry-picks without
conflicts.

But i cannot send you an email to stable@xxxxxxxxxx just yet: as i
havent fully tested the last commit yet, and have not pushed it out yet.
The commit ID is not stable yet.

So without the in-commit tagging, i'd have to remember to send you an
email in an hour (or in a day - whenever testing is done) - and that is
error prone and easy to forget. The prereqs might be lost, etc. It's
better to do this all in one well-focused moment of time, gather the
information and mention it in the changelog.

Ingo