Changing another process' UID

From: Enrico Weigelt
Date: Tue Nov 10 2009 - 04:28:43 EST

Hi folks,

for properly porting Plan9's factotum to Linux, I need some way
to change an running process's uid/gid.

Plan9 has special devices /dev/caphash and /dev/capuse for that.

Some time ago I chose to hack up a different, a bit more generic
way: adding special new uid / gid files to the /proc entries,
so another (root) process can change the uid of an already
running process.

I suppose there's a better way via Linux's caps api, isnt it ?

thx