Re: Kernel Options: To use MSI-X or not?

From: Robert Hancock
Date: Wed Nov 04 2009 - 19:05:48 EST

On 11/04/2009 10:53 AM, Justin Piszcz wrote:
Hello,

I was curious whether its best to use MSI-X when the driver supports it
or not?

Example, 3ware cards/Intel Audio Drivers you can use MSI-X instead of
having several devices use/share an interrupt.

What are the pros/cons to using MSI-X vs. having devices share an IRQ?

Normally using MSI/MSI-X is always better (or at least no worse), assuming it works properly on the system and on the device.. Hopefully by this point we've fixed most or all the system-related problems or forced MSI off on platforms where it can't work properly.