Re: FatELF patches...

From: Ryan C. Gordon
Date: Sun Nov 01 2009 - 15:40:33 EST

> Format (ANDF), such that, given a fat binary which does NOT support a
> given CPU, you could at least in theory process the ANDF section to
> create the needed target binary? Bonus points for being able to then
> append the newly created section to the file.

It's not a goal of mine, but I suppose you could have an ELF OSABI for it.

I don't think it changes the FatELF kernel patch at all. I don't know much
about ANDF, but you'd probably just want to set the ELF "interpreter" to
something other than ld.so and do this all in userspace, and maybe add a
change to elf_check_arch() to approve ANDF binaries...or something.

To me, ANDF is interesting in an academic sense, but not enough to spend
effort on it. YMMV. :)

--ryan.