Re: RFC: Transparent Hugepage support

From: KAMEZAWA Hiroyuki
Date: Thu Oct 29 2009 - 20:43:21 EST

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009 11:36:58 +0100
Andrea Arcangeli <aarcange@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > A small comment regarding the patch itself: i think it could be
> > simplified further by eliminating CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE and by
> > making it a natural feature of hugepage support. If the code is correct
> > i cannot see any scenario under which i wouldnt want a hugepage enabled
> > kernel i'm booting to not have transparent hugepage support as well.
>
> The two reasons why I added a config option are:
>
> 1) because it was easy enough, gcc is smart enough to eliminate the
> external calls so I didn't need to add ifdefs with the exception of
> returning 0 from pmd_trans_huge and pmd_trans_frozen. I only had to
> make the exports of huge_memory.c visible unconditionally so it doesn't
> warn, after that I don't need to build and link huge_memory.o.
>
> 2) to avoid breaking build of archs not implementing pmd_trans_huge
> and that may never be able to take advantage of it
>
> But we could move CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE to an arch define forced
> to Y on x86-64 and N on power.

Ah, please keep CONFIG_TRANSPARENT_HUGEPAGE for a while.
Now, memcg don't handle hugetlbfs because it's special and cannot be freed by
the kernel, only users can free it. But this new transparent-hugepage seems to
be designed as that the kernel can free it for memory reclaiming.
So, I'd like to handle this in memcg transparently.

But it seems I need several changes to support this new rule.
I'm glad if this new huge page depends on !CONFIG_CGROUP_MEM_RES_CTRL for a
while.

Thanks,
-Kame