Re: virtual vs physical addresses to cache functions

From: Mike Frysinger
Date: Thu Oct 29 2009 - 20:36:29 EST

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 12:26, John Linn wrote:
> Maybe this is a dumb question...

you should see the stuff people put into hardware ...

> I believe that the kernel expects virtual addresses to be passed to the
> defined cache functions across all architectures.

i believe they're virtual since most (sane) hardware virtual memory
implementations are done with caches based on virtual addresses, but
what do i know (leading into next point ...)

>ÂLooking at PowerPC and Blackfin confirm this I think.

the Blackfin arch (which is what i work on) is a bad example as it
lacks virtual memory support
-mike