Re: [RFC Patch 0/4] Enhance perf-events to profile memory accessesusing hw-breakpoints - ver II

From: K.Prasad
Date: Thu Oct 29 2009 - 18:24:15 EST

On Thu, Oct 29, 2009 at 09:19:17AM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> * K.Prasad <prasad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

[snipped]

> > #
> > #
> > # perf record -v -i -e breakpoint-readwrite:jiffies top
> >
> > [Ran 'top' for about 10 seconds]
>
> btw., you probably want to add the -a/--all option as well when you test
> via top, to do system-wide profiling. With this command you profile top
> itself (and its child tasks).

Okay. Attached output to that effect in ver III of my patchset sent
here: http://lkml.org/lkml/2009/10/29/300

> > # perf report -i perf.data
> > # Samples: 2022950155
> > #
> > # Overhead Command Shared Object Symbol
> > # ........ ....... ............. ......
> > #
> > 99.99% top [kernel] [k] scheduler_tick
> > 0.01% perf [kernel] [k] scheduler_tick
> > 0.00% top [kernel] [k] set_track
> > 0.00% top [kernel] [k] run_timer_softirq
> > 0.00% perf [kernel] [k] set_track
> > 0.00% top [kernel] [k] __call_rcu
> > 0.00% top [kernel] [k] calc_global_load
> > 0.00% top [kernel] [k] do_timer
> > 0.00% top [kernel] [k] __rcu_process_callbacks
> > #
> > # (For a higher level overview, try: perf report --sort comm,dso)
> > #
>
> That output looks pretty awesome! This way we can map out how frequently
> global variables are used in the kernel - in stock distro kernels too.
> Previously we could only measure it indirectly (by looking at
> high-overhead functions and assembly level annotations), or by running
> very costly instrumentation like Valgrind.
>
> I like it how you extended --event with the breakpoint-readwrite:jiffies
> method as well.
>
> A few additional shortcuts/aliases would be nice, such as:
>
> perf record -v -i -e readwrite:jiffies top
>
> as breakpoint-readwrite is pretty log users arent really interested in
> the mechanism (hardware-breakpoints), they are more interested that it's
> memory read-write profiling done at a given address.
>
> Maybe even 'rw' would be a useful alias as well. There are alias tables
> for events which you can use for this. You can define them via:
>
> { CHBP(WRITE), "memory-write", "write", "w" },
> { CHBP(RW), "memory-readwrite", "readwrite", "rw" },

I've added "memory-write" and "w" as the aliases (similarly
"memory-readwrite" and "rw" as shown under). "read" and "write" are
used as hw_cache_op[] aliases; moreover defining more than one alias
would require a separate structure (as done by hw_cache[] and
hw_cache_op[] and further changes in print_events()), and hence the
single alias. I'm open to any further suggestions on the renaming front.

+ { CHBP(WRITE), "memory-write", "w" },
+ { CHBP(RW), "memory-readwrite", "rw" },

> Anyway, this looks very good already - Frederic, if you like these
> patches too feel free to send it to me in your next hw-breakpoints pull
> request.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ingo

I'm glad that you found value in the patchset and hope that this would
entail the feature's journey further into the mainline. Frederic's
previous mail suggests that I owe him more reasoning about the patches'
approach, before being sent out for a git pull!

Thanks,
K.Prasad