Re: Memory overcommit

From: David Rientjes
Date: Thu Oct 29 2009 - 04:35:56 EST

On Thu, 29 Oct 2009, Vedran Furac wrote:

> > We would know if you posted the data.
>
> I need to find some free time to destroy a session on a computer which I
> use for work. You could easily test it yourself also as this doesn't
> happen only to me.
>
> Anyways, here it is... this time it started with ntpd:
>
> http://pastebin.com/f3f9674a0

That oom log shows 12 ooms but no tasks actually appear to be getting
killed (there're no "Killed process 1234 (task)" found). Do you have any
idea why?

Anyway, as I posted in response to KAMEZAWA-san's patch, the change to
get_mm_rss(mm) prefers Xorg more than the current implementation.

>From your log at the link above:

total_vm
669624 test
195695 krunner
187342 krusader
168881 plasma-desktop
130562 ktorrent
127081 knotify4
125881 icedove-bin
123036 akregator

rss
668738 test
42191 Xorg
30761 firefox-bin
13331 icedove-bin
10234 ktorrent
9263 akregator
8864 plasma-desktop
7532 krunner

Can you explain why Xorg is preferred as a baseline to kill rather than
krunner in your example?

Thanks.