Re: [patch] x86: reduce srat verbosity in the kernel log

From: David Rientjes
Date: Wed Oct 28 2009 - 17:47:06 EST

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009, Mike Travis wrote:

> > Printing a list of apic ids longer than 128 characters would pollute the
> > kernel log and this upper bound will probably never be reached based on the
> > way apic ids are created for physical and logical processors: they are
> > normally reduced to ranges instead of comma seperated entities.
>
> Ahh, ok, thanks.
>
> Does that mean this 10,649 character line full of periods is illegal?

I'm not saying it would be illegal, merely that it would be harm
readability. Based on how apic id's are formed from processor ids,
though, I think we're really talking about an upper limit (128) that will
never be reached.

> [ 102.551570] Completing Region/Field/Buffer/Package initialization:
> <4>Clocksource tsc unstable (delta = 4396383657849 ns)
>
> I'm having trouble finding it. Does it look familiar to anyone?

It's debugging output from acpi_ns_initialize_objects() and each period is
from acpi_ns_init_one_device(). You can suppress it by disabing
CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG.