Re: [RFC] scripts/get_maintainer.pl: also find maintainers fromMercurial (hg log)

From: Joe Perches
Date: Mon Oct 26 2009 - 13:27:53 EST

On Mon, 2009-10-26 at 18:04 +0200, Marti Raudsepp wrote:
> Hi!

Hi Marti.

> Given that there are official hg repositories available from kernel.org,
> Mercurial seems to be an acceptable alternative to git.
> Does this patch have any chance?

The idea is fine by me.

Here are a couple of things to consider:

There are a few outstanding patches to get_maintainer
so this doesn't apply to latest, but it's not problem
to fix it up.

What about using hg annotate for the git blame?
hg annotate -c $file
and
hg annotate --template="{desc}\n" -r $rev

Is there an hg annotate select line range capability?

I'm not a user of hg. I did:
hg clone http://www.kernel.org/hg/linux-2.6/
and
hg annotate -c -l README
and the output line numbering style isn't clear to me.

Maybe it's better not to introduce more arguments.

Would it be acceptable to use --git instead of --hg
and just execute hg if .git wasn't available but .hg
was? Basically just consider --git the equivalent of
--vcs and execute whatever vcs system was supported?

Or maybe just add --vcs instead of --hg so that
the perforce/cvs/svn/darcs/VisualSourceSafe/etc users
could be happy in the future too...

What do you think?

cheers, Joe