Re: pci-express hotplug

From: Alex Chiang
Date: Tue Oct 20 2009 - 15:07:18 EST

* Jens Axboe <jens.axboe@xxxxxxxxxx>:

> > > acpiphp: ACPI Hot Plug PCI Controller Driver version: 0.5
> > > acpiphp_glue: found PCI-to-PCI bridge at PCI 0000:00:05.0
> > > acpiphp_glue: found ACPI PCI Hotplug slot 1 at PCI 0000:08:00
> > > acpiphp: Slot [1] registered
> > > acpiphp_glue: found PCI-to-PCI bridge at PCI 0000:00:07.0
> > > acpiphp_glue: found ACPI PCI Hotplug slot 2 at PCI 0000:0b:00
> > > acpiphp: Slot [2] registered
> > > acpiphp_glue: found PCI-to-PCI bridge at PCI 0000:80:07.0
> > > acpiphp_glue: found ACPI PCI Hotplug slot 6 at PCI 0000:84:00
> > > acpiphp: Slot [6] registered
> > > acpiphp_glue: found PCI-to-PCI bridge at PCI 0000:80:09.0
> > > acpiphp_glue: found ACPI PCI Hotplug slot 7 at PCI 0000:87:00
> > > acpiphp: Slot [7] registered
> > > acpiphp_glue: Bus 0000:87 has 1 slot
> > > acpiphp_glue: Bus 0000:84 has 1 slot
> > > acpiphp_glue: Bus 0000:0b has 1 slot
> > > acpiphp_glue: Bus 0000:08 has 1 slot
> > > acpiphp_glue: Total 4 slots
> >
> > You mentioned in another mail that you echoed 1 into the various
> > slots' power files.
> >
> > Did you do that after modprobing acpiphp with debug=1?
> >
> > If so, there should be debug output when you try and turn them
> > on.
>
> It produces:
>
> acpiphp: enable_slot - physical_slot = 1
> acpiphp_glue: acpiphp_enable_slot: Slot status is not ACPI_STA_ALL
> acpiphp: enable_slot - physical_slot = 2
> acpiphp_glue: acpiphp_enable_slot: Slot status is not ACPI_STA_ALL
> acpiphp: enable_slot - physical_slot = 6
> acpiphp_glue: acpiphp_enable_slot: Slot status is not ACPI_STA_ALL
> acpiphp: enable_slot - physical_slot = 7
> acpiphp_glue: acpiphp_enable_slot: Slot status is not ACPI_STA_ALL

Hm, so for some reason, firmware on your machine is telling us
that it doesn't think cards are present and/or enabled.

Unfortunately, I don't know why your firmware would be saying
that. We could add some more debug printks to see what firmware
thinks about your system... Or we could just wait and see what
happens after you get your hardware replaced.

> I have a card in one of the slots only this time.
>
> > Also, quick dummy check, you are trying to power on populated
> > slots, right? :)
>
> Yes :-)
>
> > Can you send the output of lspci -vv? And I like the output of
> > lspci -vt as well... Both before and after loading acpiphp
> > please.
>
> Send privately.

No difference in before and after. Odd.

If you want to poke us again after your hardware swap, please do
so. Sorry for being not so helpful. :-/

/ac