X hangs with blank screen on 2.6.32-rc4 / Intel 915GM

From: Jonathan McDowell
Date: Thu Oct 15 2009 - 20:54:29 EST

Hi.

Trying 2.6.32-rc4 on my Toshiba R200 laptop running Debian Squeeze leads
to a blank screen with a flashing cursor in the top left when X starts.
If startup in such a way that X isn't automatically started the console
is fine, but starting X manually still leads to the hang. The machine
seems unresponsive at this point - I can't switch to a normal console
and the laptop fan comes on in a manner that suggests the CPU is
chugging away.

2.6.31.4 works fine.

X versions are as per up-to-date Squeeze - Xorg 7.4 with Intel 2.9.0.

I tried without VGA_ARB as that seemed to be the largest related change
that might affect X but not the console, but it didn't make a
difference.

dmesg from non X boot, Kernel config and lspci -vv output at:

http://the.earth.li/~noodles/i915-32-rc-x-broken/

I don't really have time at present to get involved in a full bisect,
but I can potentially try over the weekend if there's nothing more
obvious to try first.

J.

--
"The actual chances of it blowing are about one in...one." - Lister