Re: GT/s vs Gbps for PCIe bus speed

From: Krzysztof Halasa
Date: Thu Oct 15 2009 - 14:00:19 EST

Don Dutile <ddutile@xxxxxxxxxx> writes:

>>> No matter how many lanes, or how the data is sent (long or short bursts),
>>> the frequency rate is a constant.

I'm not sure there is such thing as "frequency rate" (but English isn't
my first language). Rate, yes - symbol rate, clock rate (not used here),
code rate. Frequency is a clearly defined but different thing.

> Frequency changing would require link re-synch.
> This code is dealing w/steady-state frequency.

Believe me or not, there is no single frequency on PCIe link.

Google shows for example:
http://www.home.agilent.com/upload/cmc_upload/All/PCIe_HighSpeedSymposiumDec2008.pdf

See page 30, it's frequency spectrum for PCIe 3.0 but the idea is the
same. Also note consistent use of "GT/s" to avoid confusion.

> Again, trying to generate output that relates
> to what devices are spec to run at: 2.5GHz or 5.0GHz links.

That seems like wifi rather than PCIe.
--
Krzysztof Halasa