Re: [RFC In-kernel benchmarks 0/3] Introduce in kernel benchmarks

From: David Rientjes
Date: Thu Oct 15 2009 - 04:11:30 EST

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> In kernel benchmarks are benchmarks that directly run in kernel space.
>
> The test modules are regular kernel modules that can be loaded with
>
> modprobe slab_test
>
> or so.
>
> The initialization function of the module will then run the test
> and fail so that the module is not loaded. The output of the test
> results will be written to the system log.
>
> This is a rough draft. I have used these in the past to benchmark
> page allocator, slab allocator and vmstat performance.

I like the addition of these benchmarks to the kernel source, I've been
adding Mathieu's slab benchmark to my tree for a while. It looks like
they all need some degree of cleanup, though: they have checkpatch
warnings, they frequently do not handle memory allocation failures, and it
would be nice to have a consistent loglevel for all the results.