removing existing working drivers via staging

From: david
Date: Thu Oct 15 2009 - 01:29:15 EST

I missed this discussion in the thread "Moving drivers into staging (was Re: [GIT PULL] SCSI fixes for 2.6.32-" and I suspect that many others did as well

for those that missed it, as I understand it the proposal is that 'ugly' (working drivers that don't do things the kernel way and are perceived as not being commonly used anymore) drivers will get moved into staging, and if the driver maintainers do not clean them up within 6-9 months they will be removed entirely.

the expectation is that if there are no maintainers for the driver who care enough to do the cleanup they should be removed (with interested users being able to take over maintaining the drivers if there the maintainers are MIA)

I have several reactions to this

I think that 6-9 months (2-3 releases) is _far_ too short for users to notice. most users will be using a distro kernel that is on a release cycle longer than this (even if they are not using a 'enterprise' distro), so their first inkling of a problem will be the driver disappearing on them. Yes the driver can be recovered through git, bit at that point there is going to be catch-up changes to make.

What happened to the desire that Linux would be able to use anything, and once a driver was upstream changes to the kernel that would break it should be fixed by whoever is introducing those changes? This seems to be moving in the direction of only having drivers for fairly current, fairly common hardware.

David Lang