Intel DP55KG BIOS Bug (reboot hangs, is Intel aware of theproblem?)

From: Justin Piszcz
Date: Wed Oct 14 2009 - 18:04:15 EST

Hi,

I have tried the following kernel parameters with '*' and reboot=b,
reboot=h and reboot=s.

Rebooting

reboot=b[ios] | t[riple] | k[bd] | a[cpi] | e[fi] [, [w]arm | [c]old]
* bios Use the CPU reboot vector for warm reset
warm Don't set the cold reboot flag
cold Set the cold reboot flag
triple Force a triple fault (init)
* kbd Use the keyboard controller. cold reset (default)
acpi Use the ACPI RESET_REG in the FADT. If ACPI is not configured or the
ACPI reset does not work, the reboot path attempts the reset using
the keyboard controller.
* efi Use efi reset_system runtime service. If EFI is not configured or the
EFI reset does not work, the reboot path attempts the reset using
the keyboard controller.

Using warm reset will be much faster especially on big memory
systems because the BIOS will not go through the memory check.
Disadvantage is that not all hardware will be completely reinitialized
on reboot so there may be boot problems on some systems.

* reboot=force

None of which work.

It appears earlier Intel boards also suffered the same problem:

Subject: Re: Machine restart doesn't work - Intel 965G, 2.6.19-rc2
http://lkml.indiana.edu/hypermail/linux/kernel/0610.2/2215.html

Are those at Intel aware of this problem?

I have tried many different options/settings, nothing seems to work.

All workaround are unsuccessful.

It appears the dmidecode is requested for these sorts of problems, that is available here:
http://home.comcast.net/~jpiszcz/20091014/dmidecode.txt

Are there any other workarounds until Intel comes out with a patch/new BIOS? Aside from shutting the system off and using wake on lan?

Justin.