Re: GT/s vs Gbps for PCIe bus speed

From: Roland Dreier
Date: Wed Oct 14 2009 - 16:51:36 EST

FWIW, I think using the same nomenclature as the PCI-SIG documents is
probably the least confusing option. Inventing our own terminology that
conflicts with the "upstream" PCI specs is just going to confuse things,
even if the Linux terminology is "better." With that said:

> "66 MHz PCIX 533", /* 0x11 */
> "100 MHz PCIX 533", /* 0x12 */
> "133 MHz PCIX 533", /* 0x13 */
> "2.5 GT/s PCI-E", /* 0x14 */
> "5.0 GT/s PCI-E", /* 0x15 */

it is the case that PCI-SIG uses "PCI-X" and "PCIe" rather than "PCIX"
and "PCI-E". That naming would make sense to me as something to clean up.

The table of names also seems to be missing entries for PCI-X mode 1
with ECC, although I don't know if there ever was a system with a
device that actually used that mode.

- R.