Re: [this_cpu_xx V6 7/7] this_cpu: slub aggressive use of this_cpuoperations in the hotpaths

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Wed Oct 14 2009 - 10:17:59 EST

The test did not include the irqless patch I hope?

On Wed, 14 Oct 2009, Mel Gorman wrote:

> Small gains in the User, System and Elapsed times with this-cpu patches
> applied. It is interest to note for the mean times that the patches more
> than close the gap between SLUB and SLAB for the most part - the
> exception being User which has marginally better performance. This might
> indicate that SLAB is still slightly better at giving back cache-hot
> memory but this is speculation.

The queuing in SLAB allows a better cache hot behavior. Without a queue
SLUB has a difficult time improvising cache hot behavior based on objects
restricted to a slab page. Therefore the size of the slab page will
affect how much "queueing" SLUB can do.

> The patches mostly improve the performance of netperf UDP_STREAM by a good
> whack so the patches are a plus here. However, it should also be noted that
> SLAB was mostly faster than SLUB, particularly for large packet sizes. Refresh
> my memory, how do SLUB and SLAB differ in regards to off-loading large
> allocations to the page allocator these days?

SLUB offloads allocations > 8k to the page allocator.
SLAB does create large slabs.