Re: DMAR regression in 2.6.31 leads to ext4 corruption?

From: David Woodhouse
Date: Wed Oct 14 2009 - 08:11:21 EST

On Fri, 2009-10-09 at 18:47 -0700, Andy Isaacson wrote:
> Well, we don't know for sure what happened on the previous boot where
> the filesystem corruption occurred. I'm imagining a nightmare scenario
> where GPU erroneous writes cause DMAR faults and handling them somehow
> causes AHCI DMA requests to get lost.

Seems unlikely. The GPU faults happen whenever the GATT changes, because
it translates _every_ address in the GATT through the IOMMU right there
and then -- so if parts of the table are uninitialised, they'll cause
stray write faults. But no writes are actually _happening_.

> I'm going to go ahead on the theory that the BIOS needs an update.

I can't really imagine how that would help; how the BIOS would be
responsible for this. I'm more inclined to blame the drive. It's not an
SSD, is it?

--
dwmw2