Re: SCSI driver for VMware's virtual HBA - V5.

From: Jeremy Fitzhardinge
Date: Tue Oct 13 2009 - 12:46:50 EST

On 10/13/09 07:35, James Bottomley wrote:
>> Yep, below is a patch with the rename, the driver is now called
>> vmw_pvscsi. Do let me know if you have any other comments. Thanks.
>>
> I'm still curious to know what the 'p' in the name stands for. Surely
> this is a fully virtual driver, not a paravirtual one?

I would assume that "pv" does stand for paravirtual. The terminology is
a bit screwy: "fully virtualized" means that the device looks like a
real hardware device that is being emulated. "Paravirtualized" means
that it is a completely virtual device which isn't an emulation of
anything; the guests know this this and talk to it accordingly.