Re: Current status of rt2800usb and staging/rt2870

From: Ivo van Doorn
Date: Tue Oct 13 2009 - 11:55:31 EST

Hi,

> In 2.6.31, there are USB device IDs common between both drivers.

That is because they are drivers for the same hardware.

> Should a distribution enable both drivers? What do you suggest? Are there any
> *known issues* stuff for one of them?

The staging/rt2870 should actually be removed from the kernel tree,
I am going to merge rt2800pci soon as well and after that I'll send a patch
to remove all Ralink drivers from the staging tree.

As for known issues:
- staging/rt2870 is a piece of crap which apparently works for some people
but isn't generally stable or reliable
- wireless/rt2800usb follows the kernel coding style/rules and uses mac80211
but isn't showing a high quality for usability.

Ivo