Re: [Bug #14388] keyboard under X with 2.6.31

From: Justin P. Mattock
Date: Mon Oct 12 2009 - 20:16:45 EST

Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
On Tue, Oct 13, 2009 at 12:38:41AM +0100, Alan Cox wrote:
So it seems likely to me that this is a kernel bug, somewhere, and the
TTY layer seems like a good place to look (OK, a horrible place, but a
*likely* place).
Somewhere around 2.6.29-30 various things went funny in the keyboard
layer for me - notably characters "bleeding" across console switches.

What do you mean by "bleeding"? Are you sure it is not autorepeat
kicking in?

I'm about to try reverting the suggested commit and will report back. I
see this failure about once a day, so I'll give it three days to go
wrong and then (if it doesn't) will presume it works and so inform you.

(Of course with this commit reverted Emacsen start dropping data from
their ptys, and as bad luck would have it I live in (X)Emacs, but that's
on a different machine! so I can have my compile buffer data *and* not
destroy X ;} )
X doesn't touch the pty layer. It touches vt (extensively) and the input
layers. It's vt/kbd access is also very raw so bypasses much of that
layer. That isn't to say tty isn't the cause but look for input layer
changes too.

FWIW:
Something I noticed with fedora/ubuntu(latest) is while opening
a terminal the history(example: pressing up arrow) will just
start firing off as if I pressed the arrow up key and held it,
all the way until the end of the history file( .bash_history).
seems to do this at a random, if I'm compiling most notable during ./configure.
(When this happens the screen will be garbled with characters similar to this:
^C)

During my clfs build I used fedora as the host system, and this behavior went
right into the newly created system. When I built another system, I used ubuntu
and it seems to not be as bad, but still present.(I'm thinking , if this is what
others are experiencing it must be something in userspace)

Justin P. Mattock