Re: [tip:x86/pat] x86: Relegate CONFIG_PAT and CONFIG_MTRR configurabilityto EMBEDDED

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Mon Oct 12 2009 - 13:47:36 EST

H. Peter Anvin wrote:
Commit-ID: c03cb3149daed3e411657e3212d05ae27cf1a874
Gitweb: http://git.kernel.org/tip/c03cb3149daed3e411657e3212d05ae27cf1a874
Author: Arjan van de Ven <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
AuthorDate: Sun, 11 Oct 2009 10:33:02 -0700
Committer: Ingo Molnar <mingo@xxxxxxx>
CommitDate: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 13:06:57 +0200

x86: Relegate CONFIG_PAT and CONFIG_MTRR configurability to EMBEDDED

MTRR and PAT support (which got added to CPUs over 10 years ago)
are no longer really optional in that more and more things are
depending on PAT just working, including various drivers and newer
versions of X. (to not even speak of MTRR)

Having this as a regular config option just no longer makes sense.

This patch relegates CONFIG_X86_PAT to the EMBEDDED category so
ultra-embedded can still disable it if they really need to.

Should we combine this with removing the whitelist (which is largely
vestigial at this point) and replace it with a blacklist (possibly
empty)? I still haven't seen any evidence that there are any CPUs which
have problems, and PAT support go back all the way to Pentium III -- and
page table attributes can be used all the way back to 386, it just
excludes the WC type.

I would be in favor of that; other operating systems have been using pat everywhere
since the pII days anyway.