Re: Linux guest domain with two vnets bound to the same vswitchexperiences hung in bootup (sun_netraT5220)

From: David Miller
Date: Fri Oct 09 2009 - 19:22:30 EST

From: David Miller <davem@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Oct 2009 15:08:29 -0700 (PDT)

> Thank you for this bug report and patch, I am looking at
> it now.

I'm trying to figure out how the deadlock can even occur,
and I've failed so far, please help me :-)

See, we always take the VIO and LDC locks in the same order
(VIO then LDC) and always with interrupts disabled, so it is
not possible to deadlock.

The only way we could deadlock is if:

1) There is some path that takes the LDC lock before the VIO one.

2) There is some path that takes either lock with interrupts
enabled.

And I cannot find any such case.

It might help if you run your test case with lockdep enabled. It will
find such deadlocks and report them precisely to the kernel logs.

Thank you!