Re: [GIT PULL] ocfs2 changes for 2.6.32

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon Sep 14 2009 - 19:28:46 EST

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009, Joel Becker wrote:

> It's a link(2) analogue. symlink(2) has the loosest coupling,
> and reflink(2) the highest. We're not going to add freflink[at]().
> It's a snap, not a copy. It can be used to implement a copy, and
> copyfile() in libc can be written with reflinkat(2), but it isn't just a
> copy.

>From all but a performance standpoint, it's a copy. It has absolutely
_zero_ "link" semantics. When you do a symlink or a hardlink, you see it
in the resulting semantics: changing one changes the other.

This 'reflink' has no such semantics that I can tell. It has purely copy
semantics, never mind that it's optimized.

And the thing to note is that it doesn't even have to be optimized as a
"link". Think about network filesystems: maybe they want to implement this
thing as a server-side "copy" operation (with atomicity guarantees).

In other words, I can well imagine that for some filesystems, there really
is no refcounting or linking implied, and that's why I think naming should
be about semantics, not some random implementation issue that just happens
to be true for some particular class of filesystems.

So tell me - are there actually any non-copying semantics as far as the
_user_ is concerned? Is there some reason why a NFS server might not
implement this as a server-side copy? Is there something fundamentally in
this all that is about reference counting as far as a user is concerned?

I also still didn't get any answer to the "freflink()" question. You just
said that we wouldn't do it, with no explanation. Why? We've discussed
'flink()' in the past, I just want to know that when we do a new system
call there is some _reason_ why it's not going to explode into many
different variants later...

Linus