Re: [patch 3/6] add pmem driver

From: Pavel Machek
Date: Mon Sep 14 2009 - 18:26:27 EST

On Mon 2009-09-14 15:23:05, Daniel Walker wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-09-15 at 00:08 +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:

> > > I wouldn't even both with this one .. There's no way it could ever go
> > > into mainline .. According to the android developers the camera , and
> > > the frame buffer driver should work without it anyway..
> >
> > Well, without it, it does not link. If you can provide better patch,
> > please go ahead. (But please let me fix the compilation in the meantime).
>
> Now that I think about it, maybe just the frame buffer driver can work
> without it.. If it's really needed for the camera then the agenda should
> be removing pmem from the camera ..
>
> > Plus... why do you think this is completely unacceptable? We may need
> > to strip the userland interface, but the rest..
>
> The userland interface is the core of the driver tho .. According to the
> android developers (my understanding anyway), this driver just allows
> large blocks of memory to be allocated then shared between userspace and
> kernel space .. Brian can explain it better, but from the sound of it
> they are likely replicating interfaces that we already have ..

AFAICT, pmem exports functionality that is required by the other
part. I agree that new userland interface is probably no-go, but I
also believe that it should be easy enough to remove (or maybe change)
in followup patch.

It will be worked on, eventually. For now, we'd like dream support to
compile and link, and then maybe to boot.
Pavel