Re: BFS vs. mainline scheduler benchmarks and measurements

From: Nikos Chantziaras
Date: Sat Sep 12 2009 - 05:04:23 EST

On 09/12/2009 11:27 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
Hi,

On Samstag 12 September 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

On 09/11/2009 09:33 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:

this is with 2.6.31+reiser4+fglrx
Phenom II X4 955

KDE 4.3.1, composite temporary disabled.
tvtime running.

load:
fat emerge with make -j5 running in one konsole tab (xulrunner being
compiled).

without NO_NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS:

tvtime is smooth most of the time

with NO_NEW_FAIR_SLEEPERS:

tvtime is more jerky. Very visible in scenes with movement.

Is the make -j5 running niced 0?

yes. It always is.

If yes, that would be actually the
correct behavior.

maybe. But I do not complain about jerks at all. I have

[ 3618.305918] hpet1: lost 1 rtc interrupts

with tvtime running since I switched cpus - so something is wrong anyway.

Seeing the "lost 1 rtc interrupts" message makes me wonder if this could possibly relate to problems with the C1E state on AMD systems (missing timer interrupts):

http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/6/12/127

That thread is one year old though and your Phenom II CPU was released 7 months later.