Re: [GIT PULL] x86/xen for v2.6.32

From: Jesper Juhl
Date: Fri Sep 11 2009 - 18:07:55 EST

On Fri, 11 Sep 2009, Ingo Molnar wrote:

[...]
> +static __init void xen_load_gdt_boot(const struct desc_ptr *dtr)
> +{
> + unsigned long va = dtr->address;
> + unsigned int size = dtr->size + 1;
> + unsigned pages = (size + PAGE_SIZE - 1) / PAGE_SIZE;
> + unsigned long frames[pages];
> + int f;
> +
> + /*
> + * A GDT can be up to 64k in size, which corresponds to 8192
> + * 8-byte entries, or 16 4k pages..
> + */
> +
> + BUG_ON(size > 65536);
> + BUG_ON(va & ~PAGE_MASK);
> +
> + for (f = 0; va < dtr->address + size; va += PAGE_SIZE, f++) {
> + pte_t pte;
> + unsigned long pfn, mfn;
> +
> + pfn = virt_to_pfn(va);
> + mfn = pfn_to_mfn(pfn);
> +
> + pte = pfn_pte(pfn, PAGE_KERNEL_RO);
> +
> + if (HYPERVISOR_update_va_mapping((unsigned long)va, pte, 0))
> + BUG();
[...]

Why is this cast of 'va' needed? As far as I can see, 'va' already has
the correct type of "unsigned long".
Pointless casts do more harm than good, let's remove this one :-)

Sorry that all I could comment on was this trivial thing, but I thought it
better to comment than keep silent now that I had read the patch and
spotted it...

--
Jesper Juhl <jj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> http://www.chaosbits.net/