Re: iwlagn: order 2 page allocation failures

From: Pekka Enberg
Date: Thu Sep 10 2009 - 08:39:45 EST

Hi Mel,

On Thu, 2009-09-10 at 13:34 +0100, Mel Gorman wrote:
> > That's because it's a large allocation that's passed directly to the
> > page allocator. See kmalloc_large_node(), for example.
>
> Pants. Is there any chance that could be fixed so that allocation
> failures within SLUB get consistently reported?

Did you have something specific in mind? I am not sure it's worth it,
really.

The kmalloc_large() function is a static inline in
include/linux/slub_def.h that gets inlined nicely to a get_order() +
__get_free_pages() pair in the caller for production configs. I'm not
sure what we should print either. There's no known "object size" or
"buffer size" nor do we any of the variable order things or backing
struct kmem_cache_nodes.

Pekka