Re: BFS vs. mainline scheduler benchmarks and measurements

From: Mike Galbraith
Date: Wed Sep 09 2009 - 23:16:40 EST

On Wed, 2009-09-09 at 23:12 +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> With your version of latt.c, I get these results with 2.6-tip vs
> 2.6.31-rc9-bfs:
>

> (mainline)
> Averages:
> ------------------------------
> Max 50 usec
> Avg 12 usec
> Stdev 3 usec
>

> (BFS)
> Averages:
> ------------------------------
> Max 474 usec
> Avg 11 usec
> Stdev 16 usec
>

> However, the interactivity problems still remain. Does that mean it's
> not a latency issue?

Could be a fairness issue. If X+client needs more than it's fair share
of CPU, there's nothing to do but use nice levels. I'm stuck with
unaccelerated X (nvidia card), so if I want a good DVD watching or
whatever eye-candy experience while my box does a lot of other work, I
either have to use SCHED_IDLE/nice for the background stuff, or renice
X. That's the down side of a fair scheduler.

There is another variant of latency related interactivity issue for the
desktop though, too LOW latency. If X and clients are switching too
fast, redraw can look nasty, sliced/diced.

-Mike