Re: BFS vs. mainline scheduler benchmarks and measurements

From: Nikos Chantziaras
Date: Wed Sep 09 2009 - 16:12:22 EST

On 09/09/2009 09:04 PM, Ingo Molnar wrote:
[...]
* Jens Axboe<jens.axboe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 09 2009, Jens Axboe wrote:
[...]
BFS210 runs on the laptop (dual core intel core duo). With make -j4
running, I clock the following latt -c8 'sleep 10' latencies:

-rc9

Max 17895 usec
Avg 8028 usec
Stdev 5948 usec
Stdev mean 405 usec

Max 17896 usec
Avg 4951 usec
Stdev 6278 usec
Stdev mean 427 usec

Max 17885 usec
Avg 5526 usec
Stdev 6819 usec
Stdev mean 464 usec

-rc9 + mike

Max 6061 usec
Avg 3797 usec
Stdev 1726 usec
Stdev mean 117 usec

Max 5122 usec
Avg 3958 usec
Stdev 1697 usec
Stdev mean 115 usec

Max 6691 usec
Avg 2130 usec
Stdev 2165 usec
Stdev mean 147 usec

At least in my tests these latencies were mainly due to a bug in
latt.c - i've attached the fixed version.

The other reason was wakeup batching. If you do this:

echo 0> /proc/sys/kernel/sched_wakeup_granularity_ns

... then you can switch on insta-wakeups on -tip too.

With a dual-core box and a make -j4 background job running, on
latest -tip i get the following latencies:

$ ./latt -c8 sleep 30
Entries: 656 (clients=8)

Averages:
------------------------------
Max 158 usec
Avg 12 usec
Stdev 10 usec

With your version of latt.c, I get these results with 2.6-tip vs 2.6.31-rc9-bfs:

(mainline)
Averages:
Max 50 usec
Avg 12 usec