Re: BFS vs. mainline scheduler benchmarks and measurements

From: Jiri Kosina
Date: Tue Sep 08 2009 - 19:21:12 EST

On Wed, 9 Sep 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:

> > > Here the result:
> > >
> > > http://foss.math.aegean.gr/~realnc/pics/latop2.png
> > >
> > > Again: this is on an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU.
> >
> > Just an idea: Maybe some system management code hits you?
>
> I'm not sure what is meant with "system management code."

System management interrupt happens when firmware/BIOS/HW-debugger is
executed in privilege mode so high, that even OS can't do anything about
that.

It is used in many situations, such as

- memory errors
- ACPI (mostly fan control)
- TPM

OS has small to none possibility to influence SMI/SMM. But if this would
be the cause, you should probably obtain completely different results on
different hardware configuration (as it is likely to have completely
different SMM behavior).

--
Jiri Kosina
SUSE Labs, Novell Inc.