Re: BFS vs. mainline scheduler benchmarks and measurements

From: Nikos Chantziaras
Date: Tue Sep 08 2009 - 17:29:11 EST

On 09/08/2009 03:03 PM, Theodore Tso wrote:
On Tue, Sep 08, 2009 at 01:13:34PM +0300, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
despite the untranslated content, it is clear that you have scheduler
delays (either due to scheduler bugs or cpu contention) of upto 68
msecs... Second in line is your binary AMD graphics driver that is
chewing up 14% of your total latency...

I've now used a correctly installed and up-to-date version of latencytop
and repeated the test. Also, I got rid of AMD's binary blob and used
kernel DRM drivers for my graphics card to throw fglrx out of the
equation (which btw didn't help; the exact same problems occur).

Here the result:

http://foss.math.aegean.gr/~realnc/pics/latop2.png

This was with an unmodified 2.6.31-rcX kernel?

Yes (-rc9). I also tested with 2.6.30.5 and getting the same results.

Does Latencytop do anything useful on a BFS-patched kernel?

Nope. BFS does not support any form of tracing yet. latencytop runs but only shows a blank list. All I can say is that a BFS patched kernel with the same .config fixes all visible latency issues.