Re: Epic regression in throughput since v2.6.23

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Tue Sep 08 2009 - 15:01:15 EST

On 09/08/2009 01:47 PM, Jesse Brandeburg wrote:
On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 5:57 AM, Serge
Belyshev<belyshev@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi. I've done measurments of time taken by make -j4 kernel build
on a quadcore box. Results are interesting: mainline kernel
has regressed since v2.6.23 release by more than 10%.

Is this related to why I now have to double the amount of threads X I
pass to make -jX, in order to use all my idle time for a kernel
compile? I had noticed (without measuring exactly) that it seems with
each kernel released in this series mentioned, I had to increase my
number of worker threads, my common working model now is (cpus * 2) in
order to get zero idle time.

You will almost certainly see idle CPUs/threads with "make -jN_CPUS" due to processes waiting for I/O.

If you're curious, there is also room for experimenting with make's "-l" argument, which caps the number of jobs based on load average rather than a static number of job slots.

Jeff