Re: question on sched-rt group allocation cap: sched_rt_runtime_us

From: Anirban Sinha
Date: Tue Sep 08 2009 - 10:41:14 EST

On 2009-09-08, at 1:42 AM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:

On Tue, 2009-09-08 at 00:08 -0700, Anirban Sinha wrote:

Actually there is, use cpusets to carve the system into partitions.

hmm. ok. I looked at the code a little bit. It seems to me that the
'borrowing' of RT runtimes occurs only from rt runqueues belonging to
the same root domain. And partition_sched_domains() is the only
external interface that can be used to create root domain out of a CPU
set. But then I think it needs to have CGROUPS/USER groups enabled?
Right?

No you need cpusets, you create a partition by disabling load- balancing
on the top set, thereby only allowing load-balancing withing the
children.

Ah I see. Thanks for the clarification.

The runtime sharing is a form of load-balancing.

sure.

CONFIG_CPUSETS=y

Hmm. Ok. I guess what I meant but did not articulate properly (because I was thinking in terms of code) was CPUSETS needed CGROUPS support:

config CPUSETS
bool "Cpuset support"
depends on CGROUPS

Anyway, that's fine. I'll dig around the code a little bit more.

Documentation/cgroups/cpusets.txt

Thanks for the pointer. My bad, I did not care to see the docs. I tend to ignore docs and read code instead. :D