Re: BFS vs. mainline scheduler benchmarks and measurements

From: Nikos Chantziaras
Date: Tue Sep 08 2009 - 07:31:42 EST

On 09/08/2009 02:54 AM, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
On Sun September 6 2009, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
[...]
For reference, my system is:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 (2.4GHz)
Mainboard: Asus P5E (Intel X38 chipset)
RAM: 6GB (2+2+1+1) dual channel DDR2 800
GPU: RV770 (Radeon HD4870).

My Phenom 9550 (2.2Ghz) whips the pants off my Intel Q6600 (2.6Ghz). I and a
friend of mine both get large amounts of stalling when doing a lot of IO. I
haven't seen such horrible desktop interactivity since before the new
schedulers and the -ck patchset came out for 2.4.x. Its a heck of a lot better
on my AMD Phenom's, but some lag is noticeable these days, even when it wasn't
a few kernel releases ago.

It seems someone tried BFS on quite slower hardware: Android. According to the feedback, the device is much more responsive with BFS: http://twitter.com/cyanogen