Re: BFS vs. mainline scheduler benchmarks and measurements

From: Nikos Chantziaras
Date: Tue Sep 08 2009 - 04:14:01 EST

On 09/08/2009 11:04 AM, Ingo Molnar wrote:

* Pekka Pietikainen<pp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 10:57:01PM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
Could you profile it please? Also, what's the context-switch rate?

As far as I can tell, the broadcom mips architecture does not have
profiling support. It does only have some proprietary profiling
registers that nobody wrote kernel support for, yet.
Well, what does 'vmstat 1' show - how many context switches are
there per second on the iperf server? In theory if it's a truly
saturated box, there shouldnt be many - just a single iperf task

Yay, finally something that's measurable in this thread \o/

My initial posting in this thread contains 6 separate types of
measurements, rather extensive ones. Out of those, 4 measurements
were latency oriented, two were throughput oriented. Plenty of data,
plenty of results, and very good reproducability.

None of which involve latency-prone GUI applications running on cheap commodity hardware though. I listed examples where mainline seems to behave sub-optimal and ways to reproduce them but this doesn't seem to be an area of interest.