Re: expresscard hotplug not working

From: Mark Lord
Date: Mon Aug 31 2009 - 08:45:55 EST

Mark Lord wrote:
Matthew Garrett wrote:
On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 08:52:45AM -0400, Mark Lord wrote:

Just create a file called /etc/modprobe.d/pciehp,
and stick this one line into it:

options pciehp pciehp_force=1

See if that works.

It's worth noting that Windows didn't support native pcie hotplug until Vista, and so any hardware that works with XP (ie, basically all of it, including Dells) is supposed to be using acpi hotplug instead. I've fixed one bug that led to acpiphp not working on some hardware, but if anyone's still running with pciehp_force=1 then please send me the output of acpidump so it can be fixed properly.
..

My Dell works fine with PCIe hotplug under XP,
but not under Linux without pciehp_force=1.

I have not retested without that parameter for quite some time, though.
What do I have to do to retest with "acpihp" ?
..

Okay, I figured it out. Not very difficult, either. :)

With acpiphp loaded, hotplug works on the ExpressCard slot
of my Dell i9400 notebook. Well, it *mostly* works.

The part that is still b0rked is that inserted cards get
"forgotten" about over suspend/resume (RAM) cycles.

With pciehp + pciehp_force=1, everything works properly,
including keeping devices around over suspend/resume.

I am attaching the output of "acpidump -b | gzip" to this message.

Cheers