Re: RFC: THE OFFLINE SCHEDULER

From: Mike Galbraith
Date: Thu Aug 27 2009 - 03:16:12 EST

On Wed, 2009-08-26 at 15:15 -0400, Christoph Lameter wrote:

> The point of the OFFLINE scheduler is to completely eliminate the
> OS disturbances by getting rid of *all* OS processing on some cpus.

No, that's not the point of OFFSCHED. It's about offloading kernel
functionality to a peer, and as it currently exists after some years of
development. kernel functionality only. Raz has already stated that
hard RT is not the point.

<quote> (for full context, jump back a bit in this thread)
> On the other hand, I could see this as a jump platform for more
> proprietary code, something like that: we use linux in out server
> platform, but out "insert buzzword here" network stack pro+ can handle
> 100% more load that linux does, and it runs on a dedicated core....
>
> In the other words, we might see 'firmwares' that take an entire cpu
for
> their usage.
This is exactly what offsched (sos) is. you got it. SOS was partly
inspired by the notion of a GPU.
Processors are to become more and more redundant and Linux as an
evolutionary system must use it. why not offload raid5 write engine ?
why not encrypt in a different processor ?
Also , having so many processors in a single OS means a bug prone
system , with endless contention points when two or more OS processors
interacts. let's make things simpler.
</quote>

-Mike