Re: [Patch 0/1] HW-BKPT: Allow per-cpu kernel-space HardwareBreakpoint requests

From: K.Prasad
Date: Tue Aug 25 2009 - 16:33:21 EST

On Thu, Aug 20, 2009 at 10:57:19PM +0530, K.Prasad wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 19, 2009 at 07:33:00PM +0200, Frederic Weisbecker wrote:

> [edited]
> > >
> > > Hi Frederic,
> > > Do you find these patches, that provide the ability to restrict
> > > kernel-space breakpoints to any given subset of CPUs, to bring the
> > > requisite features for exploitation of hw-bkpt by 'perf tools'?
> > >
> > > Also of interest would be the reduced overhead associated with
> > > (un)register_kernel_hw_breakpoint() operations (no IPI in case of
> > > single-CPU breakpoint request).

[edited]
> > - having a callback that quickly swap two breakpoints in order to support
> > the hardware register multiplexing. I guess the pmu object would just need
> > to call it when the multiplexing is decided.
> >

> Are you suggesting something like a modify_kernel_hw_breakpoint() that
> can quickly change a breakpoint address/characteristics?
>
> That's quite doable...it requires a quick validation through
> arch_validate_hwbkpt_settings() and the requisite IPIs (depending on
> what the new cpumask is).
>
> I will send a patch to that effect soon.

Hi Frederic,
I just sent a patchset that adds the ability to specify per-cpu
kernel-space breakpoints + a (relatively) lightweight function to modify
the characteristics of a kernel-space breakpoint that can be used to
swap between two breakpoint requests.

Please pull them into -tip tree if you find them mature and ready.

With these new feature additions, I see the HW-Breakpoint infrastructure
code ready to meet the needs for exploitation by perf-tools and I presume
you would restart your effort on the same?

Thanks,
K.Prasad