Re: [linux-pm] [RFC] PCI: Runtime power management

From: Alan Stern
Date: Sat Aug 15 2009 - 11:53:53 EST

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > Why don't we add a flag indicating whether or not the device is allowed to
> > > be power managed at run time, something like runtime_forbidden, that the
> > > user space will be able to set through sysfs?
> >
> > I think even having a runtime_wakeup flag (which defaults to on) would
> > be sufficient.
>
> Perhaps it would, but then unsetting runtime_wakeup would effectively disable
> runtime PM for devices that need it to be power managed at run time (probably
> all input devices). Also there may be situations in which user space may
> really want to disable runtime PM for some devices (think of broken hardware
> for one example).

It sounds like there are really three choices here, and the decision
should largely be left up to the user:

1. don't use runtime PM,

2. allow runtime PM but disable remote wakeup,

3. allow runtime PM with remote wakeup enabled.

Now, a driver may say "I can't do my job without remote wakeup". Such
a driver would refuse to do runtime_suspend in case 2. But otherwise
we should follow the preference of the user.

The only remaining question is how to expose this in sysfs in a way
that won't be confusing and that won't be confused with the "wakeup"
attribute. One possibility is to use the "level" attribute introduced
in USB; possible levels are "on" (no runtime PM) and "auto" (runtime
PM allowed). Then a new "runtime_wakeup" attribute could contain
nothing (if wakeup is not available), "enabled", or "disabled".

Alan Stern