Re: [patch 2/2] Add a driver for the Winbond WPCD376I Consumer IRhardware

From: David Härdeman
Date: Thu Aug 13 2009 - 13:58:54 EST

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 08:56:37AM -0700, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 11:34:44AM +0200, David Härdeman wrote:
The main problem right now is that getkeycode is practically useless since
you can't blindly guess at a full range of 2^32 different scancodes to get
the complete keymap. Perhaps a index-based getkeycode would make sense...

The drivers that have such sparce keymaps are expected to issue
EV_MSC/MSC_SCAN events to aid userspace in identifying the "scancodes"
that are emitted by the device.

Ok, I've added EV_MSC/MSC_SCAN support.

+static struct device_attribute dev_attr_last_scancode = {
+ .attr = {
+ .name = "last_scancode",
+ .mode = 0444,
+ },
+ .show = wbcir_show_last_scancode,
+ .store = NULL,
+
+};

Why is this needed? And if this is needed we have a nice macro
for that.

I hope I've explained it wrt. EV_IR in my other mail. It's for building
keymaps of unknown remotes. And it'll go away once EV_IR is supported so I
don't think there's much point in fiddling with it now?

Because once the driver is in mainline it becomes part of userspace ABI
and has to stay for a looong time.

I've removed the sysfs attribute as EV_MSC/MSC_SCAN provides the same functionality.

Thanks for the review. Are you willing to push the driver upstream through
the input tree once I've implemented your suggested fixes?

I'd need to take a look at your EV_IR patyches and see how they will
affect this driver. I do nt want to merge something that will stay one
way for half a release and then will switch to completely new interface.

The EV_IR functionality is intended to be used in addition to regular key up/down/repeat events. Much like EV_MSC/MSC_SCAN but more descriptive and specific to IR protocols. Then advanced user-space apps can choose whether to use the in-kernel keymap or map remote codes directly to suitable events (and it allows remote keymaps to be built easily in user-space).

As the future EV_IR functionality is additional to the current functionality, I hope the driver still can be merged before I have EV_IR patches ready for review. I'll post an updated patch shortly.

--
David Härdeman