Re: [Patch 0/8] V3 Implement crashkernel=auto

From: Amerigo Wang
Date: Wed Aug 12 2009 - 22:50:14 EST

Bernhard Walle wrote:
* Amerigo Wang <amwang@xxxxxxxxxx> [2009-08-12 10:15]:
This series of patch implements automatically reserved memory for crashkernel,
by introducing a new boot option "crashkernel=auto". This idea is from Neil.

Honestly I don't see why everything is guarded by
CONFIG_KEXEC_AUTO_RESERVE. We do we need that new configuration
option? I mean, if I don't specify 'crashkernel=auto', then the patch
does nothing, right? Then the option CONFIG_KEXEC_AUTO_RESERVE would
only be needed so save some bytes of code. Is that really worth it?

Hi, CONFIG_KEXEC_AUTO_RESERVE is not for saving bytes, it just provides a choice for the user to decide to enable it or not.

Thanks.