Re: [patch 1/5] Staging: VME Framework for the Linux Kernel

From: Emilio G. Cota
Date: Tue Aug 11 2009 - 10:49:36 EST

Martyn Welch wrote:
> Again: what part of the API I have defined forces the driver to know
> about the underlying bridge?

Let me answer with another question, maybe we get to understand
each other this way:

Could you please explain me what happens when 17 different drivers
want to control 17 different devices, each on a different slot,
same address modifier, only 1MB per device? Apply if necessary
to the tsi148 bridge.

NB1. Any given driver knows nothing about the other devices
on the crate; each driver only knows about the address, am and
size of the mapping for the device it controls--user-space
provide this info on a per-driver basis.
NB2. The mapping offsets configured through the cards' pins match
the information passed from user space to each of the cards.

Cheers,
E.