Re: kmemcheck in linux-next causes NULL pointer dereference at task_rq_lock

From: Vegard Nossum
Date: Mon Aug 10 2009 - 14:56:28 EST

2009/8/10 Eric Paris <eparis@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> I'm using 2.6.31-rc5-next-20090810 on a vmware server. ÂOriginally I saw
> messages about setting to one cpu, so I booted with maxcpu=1. ÂI get
> this same panic with and without maxpu. ÂBooting with kmemcheck=0 boots
> just fine.
>
> I have not tested kmemcheck in linus' tree but will start looking for a
> working version now. ÂAny suggestions or things I should try?

Hi, thanks for the report, and for trying it out.

Does it crash with "kmemcheck=0 maxcpus=1" (it should be maxcpus, not
maxcpu). This should be a simple way of determining whether it was
kmemcheck or the existing maxcpus code, which we use, that broke.

If you can send config (off-list, probably), I will try to reproduce
and investigate more tomorrow.

Thanks,

Vegard