Re: [Tux3] Current Activities?

From: david
Date: Mon Aug 10 2009 - 13:35:17 EST

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009, OGAWA Hirofumi wrote:

Theodore Tso <tytso@xxxxxxx> writes:

If the goal is to find corporate sponsorship for Tux3, I'd strongly
encourage you to think harder about a compelling story for why Tux3 is
so cool that companies should spend money supporting it. Let me
gently suggest to you that "it'll have fewer features than btrfs, but
it will use less memory" is not a particularly compelling story to a
company's technical and management leadership who is figure out
spending priorities for next year's budget. Particularly if the cell
phone is going to have megabytes of memory to run Java on it anyway;
and even if it's not running Java, have you seen how much space
graphical libraries take up these days? :-)

Again, I'm not saying this to discourage technical people from working
on Tux3. But just because you're passionate about a technology,
doesn't mean that it automatically translate to there being a business
case to convince companies to invest in that technology.

About sponsorship, I guess Daniel just worried about me. But, it's not
argument on lkml. So, let's stop argument about sponsorship.

it's not just sponsership, it's also the question of why should I as someone who uses linux in production ever care about Tux3. why would I pick it over ext4, btrfs, etc.

David Lang