Re: 2.6.30.1-4 kernels freezes dual pentium-3 system

From: John Stoffel
Date: Mon Aug 10 2009 - 10:42:32 EST

>> Box works works fine and very stable under 2.6.29.5 kernel, although
>> it is angry of buggy MP table (see app. #2 below). But sometimes, this
>> kernel correctly reboots the system at all, but this happens very
>> rarely. In most cases, nobody detects the box was rebooted. And this
>> is satisfactory for me.

devzero> so, what is it - stable or not stable ?

In my case, it's been stable under 2.6.29 (though with a Raid crash
after 30+ days of uptime...). Under anything newer, it hasn't been
stable, though I admit I haven't tried 2.6.29.x yet, though maybe
2.6.29.1 was ok. Not sure.

devzero> if sometimes "this kernel correctly reboots the system", do
devzero> you mean that happens spontaneously, i.e. without being
devzero> actively triggered ?

Kernel never reboots, the system locks up hard and *nothing* gets it
back beyond the reset button. SysRq is total hosed, doesn't do
anything.

devzero> i think it would be more interesting if there is anything in
devzero> dmesg on such lockup. if not, maybe you can hook up a serial
devzero> console or netconsole and trigger sysrq when you have another
devzero> lockup.

There's notthing in dmesg, nothing on the screen (it's a server and
not usually connected to a screen) and my other main machine is the
NFS client of this box, so it's kinda painful to monitor.

I need to try rigging up a completely standalone system to do both
netconsole and serial port console to see if I catch anything.

John