Re: 2.6.31-rc5 regression: x86 MCE malfunction on Thinkpad T42p

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Mon Aug 10 2009 - 08:32:37 EST

> > The appended patch should remove the warning. Can you please test it?
>
> It works (no more warning), but I feel I'm better off using "lapic"

Thanks for testing.

> because it enables thermal monitoring and performance counters.

When the BIOS doesn't enable it then force enabling lapic might not work.

This could cause either boot failures (obvious) or more subtle
problems like SMM doing something unexpected. Just saying that if you have
strange problems later first try disabling this option again.

-Andi

--
ak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Speaking for myself only.